About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Monday, July 2, 2012
This entry is a continuation of a devotional to be posted July 3 at Proverbs 31 Ministries

Several hours after leaving home, on our way to our annual visit to see family, my husband and I moaned when we noticed the traffic slowing. The Tahoe crested a hill and, laid out in front of us on the interstate, we saw, not cars and trucks steadily moving as they should, but a parking lot!

Oh no!

Cars rapidly coming to a halt on the interstate is never a good sign.

Thankfully, we had just made the move to an i phone. Although I detest the thought of a detour, my heart raced to see if my new toy would prove to be as trusty as everyone had claimed it would be. I remembered the ‘map’ app. Since I had only owned my phone for three days I didn’t expect much. But, hey, what could I loose. I touched the little map. The screen popped into view. I spotted a pulsing dot.

“Oh look,” I said to Campbell (my husband).

He, being savvy of all things techy, responded, “Yeah, get us out of this mess.”

That is when I got nervous, not sure I had any idea what to do with my new plaything.

One look at the screen caused my heart to turn cartwheels. The tiny ball pulsated right there on the highway where we were sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.

It didn’t take me long at all to realize the bouncing dot was sending me a message. I noticed an exit nearby, and I saw an alternate route, highlighted in bright yellow.

We rerouted, based on the screen’s diversion.

I wonder, if Jesus were alive today, would he talk with His disciples as they took a road trip? “Consider the i phone. Like I said, ‘I am the way.’ Turn to me when life’s detours present themselves. I “will show you a way out so you can endure.” 1 Corinthians 10:13b (NLT)

So many lessons to be learned when our routes are redirected:
     1. Don’t let the excuse, “I’m not familiar with the Bible,”keep you from opening and reading.
     2. Trust the pages of God’s word to help you find the way to go.
     3. When you do find the direction, obey, and follow.
     4.  Remember to praise God and His Word for His marvelous and amazing ways.


The next time you find yourself forced onto an alternate route, thank God first. Believe He has allowed this circumstance to protect you, introduce you to a new and better way, or to teach you lessons you might not have otherwise learned.

If you have experienced God’s rerouting of your life, I’m sure others would love to read about your adventure. Please share it with us in the comment section to encourage or be encouraged. Remember, while you are traveling through life,

Shine,


0 comments: