About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Monday, March 8, 2010

Movin' on Monday

Last Sunday evening we had a couple over for dessert. We didn’t know them – at all. She and I had met in Bible study where I learned she had recently moved to Charlotte. In the course of our conversation it became clear that she was going to celebrate her birthday. She asked if I would join her for a piece of cake and a cup of coffee. I gladly accepted. Then I realized she meant – spouses too.

I remembered – 10 years ago when I had recently moved to Charlotte. I knew no one and I was getting ready to celebrate the end of or the beginning of a new (or old) decade. Had I still been back north I would have had a lovely evening with lots of friends. The thought of celebrating alone pierced my heart- I felt so truly lonely.

Then I decided – not going there. I had met a few ladies at the local Middle School Moms in Touch group so I invited them to join me on my back deck for an evening dessert and conversation. Three ladies accepted my invitation. That night I made life long friends. When they left I thanked them for celebrating with me! They were surprised.

I vowed to never let anyone celebrate a special day alone if I could help it, especially a fellow mover.

Last Sunday night my new friend and her husband – total strangers when they walked though the door of our house, came to our house for dessert and coffee. We spent a lovely evening getting to know one another.

In Jamie Buckingham’s book A Way Through The Wilderness -about Moses’ journey through the wilderness he explains that the law of the dessert is that noone would be allowed to remain on their own. True wilderness hospitality is that we invited fellow movers to come in.
When was the last time you reached out and made a new friend?

Shine!

3 comments:

Liz said...

This post speaks to my heart. I have relocated to different parts of the country 4 times in 28 years, all four of them "cross country" moves. (the one with the shortest distance was from St.Paul, MN to Wichita, KS)
Those moves were so difficult that like you, I promised myself a long time ago that I would not let a "newby" be a "newby" without some sort of welcome beyond "Nice to meet you." from me.
I know your new friend appreciated the time spent with you (and your spouse!)
You are making a difference!
Thanks for sharing and reminding me to keep my own promise in mind!

Julie Zine Coleman said...

Whoa!! I guess I haven't been over here for a bit-- love the new look of your blog!!

We had a friend over for dinner tonight who commented on a group in her Bible study that were constantly complaining that the church wasn't "ministering to them." She told them it was time to start investing in others' lives. They had been believers long enough to have the basics, and now it was time to take newer Christians under their wings. The Lord would reveal great things to them while they came alongside and ministered to others.

It's so true. We can't approach a move or change looking for someone to meet our need. Instead, we need to actively pursue meeting others' needs. There is no room for pity parties when we are no longer living for ourselves!!

Thanks for the reminder.

Joyful said...

"...the law of the dessert is that noone would be allowed to remain on their own. True wilderness hospitality is that we invited fellow movers to come in."

LOVE THAT!!! Thanks for sharing. It is speaking to my heart.
Blessings,
Joy