About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Friday, February 12, 2010

A Simple Request

"Can you show me how to pray?"

Today I received that simple question in my email delivered to me through the Proverbs 31 Spanish web page.

What if we all started our spiritual walk with such a simple request?

Jesus' disciples asked the same question ---- almost.

"Teach us to pray."

What is prayer?

Do you pray?

On another topic --- the other day in chapel at the school where I teach, the students were privy to a video created by a group of seniors who turned in a digital media project for their Bible class. The video was a series of questions asking random people in shopping centers questions about faith, God, the universe, our purpose, life after death. The presentation was amazing. I was so impressed at the depth of knowledge, confidence, and preparation portrayed byt the students who interviewed various people with varied thoughts.

These were some of the questions. You might want to use them as conversation starters with your children and neighbors.

Would you consider yourself a person of faith?  Can you tell me about your beliefs?


(depending on the response) So... you do (or do not) believe in God? Who is he really? How do you know he exists? How fascinating. Where did you learn that?


Where do you think we came from?


What is our purpose?  


Do you believe in life after death?  What will that be like?

What I found to be amazing about the answers?  Even though many were not believers, they answerered with questions that clearly were based on Christian principles, yet had been twisted to fit their own comfort levels.

Amazing!  We live in a very dark and lost world. What are we going to do about it?

Shine,

4 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

What a beautiful blog you have! I have no idea how you found your way to my blog but I'm glad you did. I love your post on waiting. My husband is currently in Afghanistan till January 2011 and I find that my life is on hold while he's gone, but I don't want it to be. I feel as if something is coming, but I have no clue. Thank you for your words for me to be patient and just wait on the Lord.

Enjoy your weekend!

Wendy Pope said...

Van
I love the new look. Very warm and welcoming!

Laura said...

Van,
Your new look just shouts YOU! Shine, you do!

I love to hear stories from your school. I smile when I think of you teaching, shaping young lives and hearts. How blessed they are to have such a special lady to teach them!

I hope your winter has been warm! Sending warm thoughts your way.

Lynn Cowell said...

Van, I LOVE your new blog design! It is so beautiful; just like you! Miss seeing you in the office!
Love you...Lynn