About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Monday, February 1, 2010

Movin' on Mondays

Today I am doing a little reflecting about moving out of my comfort zone and into another culture:

You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven. Matthew 5:14 (MSG)

Last weekend my partner in Spanish ministry, Judith Hernandez, and I traveled to Athens. GA, where we had been invited to speak to a group of Latinas. We had planned this event for two years with a fellow Proverbs 31 team member, Laurie who had caught the vision~ reach out to the immigrants among us to bring them the gospel. Not all of us can travel abroad. In Laurie’s case her church has opened its doors to a Spanish congregation. They are designing a new paradigm.



The English speaking women provided the food, the place, the speaker and extended invitations, while working with the Hispanic pastor’s wife.
We had a delicious dinner – women of two cultures, young and mature, and children. Baby sitting was provided by the teens.


After dinner we moved upstairs for a lively and inspiring presentation by Judith. She spoke on the Fruit of the Spirit. She began by giving a simple description of the importance and necessity of a mere seed. Although I had learned all my science lesson in elementary school it was an interesting review, especially when understood as the seed relates to our spiritual life. Judith shared her own story – how she had attempted to grow her life according to her own devices and manipulations, never realizing that Jesus, the master planter, had already sowed seeds in her life. She shared how she ignored God’s plan for her life and tried miserably to plant and nurture her own seeds, dreams of her own design- and education, a marriage, a career, motherhood…

Then one day she observed a lady at work whose life illustrated the “fruit of the spirit:” love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. (Galatians 5:21-23) Judith began to watch this woman and all she could think was, “I want what this woman has.”

Judith assured the women who were listening to her- “Your life can be full of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.” But, on your own you can not plant this type of fruit. It is only possible through Christ, the Lord. She challenged the ladies, in Spanish, open your hearts, soften your hearts, let Jesus plant a new life, a meaningful life, and fruitful life in your heart. At the end of her presentation several women walked forward for prayer. I personally had the privilege of praying with a beautiful pregnant 19 year old girl whose “boyfriend” is in Iraq. Just looking at her it had been so obvious to me that she had no hope no joy in her life. But she was eager. Today a woman in the church is mentoring her!

Here we are! Judith on the far right. Laurie and me with a mother and her daughter.

If you know any Latinas in your area I ask you to introduce them to the Proverbs 31 Spanish pages and the weekly devotion we have on Crosswalk. It’s a simple thing- just pass the word on and…

Shine!

3 comments:

Judith Hernandez said...

Love your page Van, thank you for sharing with us.

Cynthia Lott Vogel said...

Van,
I love your new look. Your photo at the header reminds me of a painting I once did. I think it might be in the slide show at the bottom of my blog. You'll recognize it when you see the one I'm talking about.
Continue to challenge us woman to step over our obstacles and shine with Christ's light in and through us!

Maritza said...

May God continue taking you to higher places! This is great news! God bless you always.