About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Monday, February 15, 2010

Movin' in and not waiting

My philosophy on moving has been: never wait.

Don’t wait for the neighbors to come to me. Go to them. Have an open house for the neighbors. Face it. You know they are curious about the new family. Invite them to come over – even before you have unpacked. Be real. Tell them- “I have to have an incentive for moving in and settling down. Getting to know my neighbors is my incentive for unpacking and becoming a part of my new community.” They will love you for being REAL.

Don’t wait for the day when you are perfectly arranged, telling yourself that “Now I can meet my community.” Research your churches and join a ladies’ Bible study as soon as possible. ASAP – you hear me! It really doesn’t matter if you don’t plan on joining the church where the study is being held. In many communities women attend studies in one church although they are members of another church. I promise you- your best friends will develop within a Bible study group.

Don’t wait for your children to get over the shock of the move before registering them for activities. Do your research. Join the Y, a rec center, or your neighborhood pool and tennis club – or whatever. Sign them up for camp and Vacation Bible School. Don’t wait- get involved.

Don’t wait for teachers to ask you for help. Tell them you are lonely and have lots of time on your hand. Tell them you will do anything. This is a wonderful way to meet other mothers.

Don't wait to get so lonely you can't pull yourself out of a deep hole. Volunteer somewhere meaningful- a soup kitchen, the pregnancy care center, your local hospital, Salvation Army... 
Don’t wait for a group of praying moms to come to you. Find them or start a Moms In Touch group at the school where you children attend.

Ten years ago I moved to Charlotte. Within months I was attending the MIT prayer group at my son’s middle school. Today those women are my best friends. Our sons are all in college. We continue to pray for them. The thing I long for most in my moves has been stability and a history with friends. Through my MIT group I have filled that longing.

Don’t wait- move in and
Shine!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I love your enthusiasm! It seems like I've lost a bit of that, but I'm praying God will work in me, through me, to shine where I am, even when I want to hide in the dark.

B His Girl said...

good advice for my move. Go knock on their door and invite them over. I certainly want to let my light shine!