About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Thursday, December 24, 2009

CHRISTMAS EVE THOUGHTS

The Christmas season can be viewed from many angles. Ask 10 people what Christmas means to them and each will give a different answer:

Fond childhood memories

Mixed holiday emotions

Shopping

Cooking
Santa Clause
Music

The Nativity

Peace

Parties

Presents

Is there any one right answer?

For God so loved the world, He GAVE His only son…

I think the right answer is presents- no not presents –

THE GIFT
From out of nowhere I found a little Christmas booklet by Max Lucado while I was decorating a couple of weeks ago. Because I trust his meditations and he so inspires me I read A LOVE WORTH GIVING TO YOU

The premise of Lucado’s short Christmas blessing is relationships. God not only wants a relationship with us – hence He sent His Son to teach us how to relate to Him, but, like any parent, He longs for His children to love one another, to forgive, to get along, to live in peace and harmony, to sacrifice for one another, to put each others first…

Unfortunately most of us struggle with the principle of loving one another- really loving – like God loves us, unconditionally, love- endures- all- things love, turn- the- other- cheek- type of love, wait- hopefully- forever- for- the- prodigal- son -to -come- home kind of love, forgive -70- times- 7 love, you-first love, the I-will-never- leave- you devoted love, the I -will- always- believe- the- best -about- you love, tough love...

We struggle, reaching out for love because we were meant to be loved. We want others to fill an insatiable void- one that feels like it can only be satisfied when we get what we want from others.

God's love doesn't give us what we want- His love gives us what saves us.
We struggle because we ourselves have not offered that kind of love to others- we swear we will love better, with greater patience, with deeper understanding, yet, try as hard as we might, we can’t love the way we want ----- not on our own, that is.

We struggle to give love to others because, as Mr. Lucado says, “We can’t give what we have never received.”
Have you received God’s gift – His Son who

“went from commanding angels to sleeping in straw.
From holding stars to clutching Mary’s finger.

The palm that held the universe took the nail of the soldier.

Why?

Because that is what love does. It puts the beloved before itself. Your soul was more important than His blood. Your eternal life was more important than His earthly life. Your place in heaven was more important to Him than His place in heaven. So He gave it up so you could have yours.”

Is there a gift of relationship mending you need to give this year? Give of yourself- everything, give 'til it hurts. Jesus did and lit changed eternity.

What is the most important part of Christmas?

Gift giving- God’s gift to you and me.

Our gift to one another- not what I want, but what I can give you - myself, honest, pure, everlasting, enduring, selfless- not for my good, or your happiness, or for the sake of our relationship but because God loves us and simply asks us to receive His Gift of love and then to share it with others.

May we love because He loves- for no other reason, with no other motive.

Shine!

0 comments: