About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR WEDNESDAYS

But if we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it. Romans 8:25 (NASB)

Last night I drove to the hospital to visit a friend and her mother. I am amazed I made the trip for, you see, I don’t make sick room visits. Sickness is out of my comfort zone. Hospitals are scary and sad places for me. But I went.

Driving through town-- up the tree lined streets, took me back to a time I spent too many days and nights waiting for my son to recover from a very difficult illness.

I struggled as I waited and when I struggled I cried out to God, asking Him to hurry up. I learned God was using this opportunity to teach me perseverance.


I wondered, ” how can I practice perseverance.”

After soul searching, questioning, and turning to the Bible I began to learn.

If you are waiting, questioning, and have your life on hold --try practicing perseverance...


it is as easy as A- B- C:

- A
Abide in Him. John 15:1-11- Grow with the Lord, allowing him to become a real part of who you are.

- B
Be on the alert. Ephesians 6:10-18 (esp. 10, 11, 18)-
Shield yourself, standing firm against whatever storms or battles or tribulations come your way.


- C
Convinced that He is able to accomplish all things. (Psalm 57:1) God is gracious. He is our refuge. He is our safe keeper.

If you find yourself waiting, try practicing perseverance. You will please your heavenly Father in the process and grow more confident in your Christian walk.

Shine!

4 comments:

Joyful said...

I totally am with you here. Knowing these things doesn't always make the waiting understandable...but a little easier...often just a little easier.

Today, as I travel to the hospital to visit my Dad, it's been 4 1/2 months of visiting, re-scheduling, feeling like I'm putting much of life "on hold", but the Lord has continued to carry me.

Continuing in prayer and trusting Him,
Joy

John Cowart said...

Hi Van,

Just catching up on reading your blog. I see you went to Missouri and yesterday I just finished (almost) editing an 1854 diary of a teacher in Jackson, Missouri. Is that anywhere near Table Rock?

Waiting with perseverance comes hard for me. So do God's enforced moves. So does missing blogging... You've touched me on all three counts!

Thanks.

Lysa TerKeurst said...

Such sweet encouragement on waiting Van. Whew... waiting can be tough can't it?

Thanks for the encouragement.

Can't wait to see you soon!!!

Yolanda said...

Van,

This hits close to home. I don't like hospitals or care homes. And I dispise the word c.a.n.c.e.r.

Just getting real....

Lovingly,
Yolanda