About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

WEDNESDAYS ARE FOR WAITING

WAITS PARALYZE

The deal about waiting is we become so focused on the object of our wait, we slip into paralysis. Do you know what I mean?

The first time I became aware of this my daddy had called to inform me about his open heart surgery.

Oh no – not another health issue! I secretly thought to myself.

He assured me all would be OK, yet I detected exhaustion in his voice. A diabetic, he had recently undergone prostate treatments. It had been ten years since his successful angioplasty. We were aware heart surgery might be a reality in his life one day.

To make matters worse I could not be by his bedside to offer solace or comfort. I could not leave my sons because my husband’s job didn’t allow time off.

I remember calling the pastor of my church – I was Christian Education Ministry Leader at the time – to tell him I would not attend the spring extravaganza, an event I had planned to celebrate Christian education in the church.

I spiraled into paralysis as I waited through surgery, post op, and recovery. Guilt, fear, concern, sorrow… consumed me.

I spent my time praying and fretting. Not once did it occur to me to give my daddy to God and get on with life.

God had called me to His Wait Room and I dropped the waits. I stood there staring at the wait allowing it to incapacitate me.

Fact is I didn’t accomplish a thing – fretting, pacing, worrying.

Had I trusted God with the wait, the outcome would have still been the same.

I could have been a more involved mother. As it was, although I didn’t rush to Daddy’s hospital bedside, I also performed minimally for my family - no good anywhere while the wait wore me down.

I could have been a more productive worker in the kingdom. As it was I handed over my responsibilities to others in the church and sat home in a catatonic state.

Since that experience God has called me to His Wait Room more times than I can remember. Slowly I began to realize,

God gives us waits so we can practice giving them back to Him. We have no idea what to do with those heavy joy robbers, except to hold on and try to lift them all alone.

Even those athletes the heavy weights – weight lifters working out in the gym, ask a spotter for help when the weight gets too weighty.

Psalm 37: 3-5, “Trust in the Lord and do good. Dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness.” (NASB)

See – this is what I mean! We are to trust the Lord and, AND do good, meaning go about life while trusting God.

Had I trusted God with my daddy, I could have been an example to my sons rather than a mournful frightened mother and daughter. Also I could have spent quality time with my guys and been an example (which is a mother's role) illustrating what it is to rejoice in the Lord always - even in the midst of the storm. But no – I didn’t do a very good job at wait training.

Had I remembered that I had been called to cultivate in the land where I dwelled I might have rejoiced at the fruits of my labor. But no – I missed out on a joyful event, one my dear daddy would have never dreamed of keeping me from attending. I failed my time trial.

Now when called to God’s Wait Room I try to remember this wise quote from an unknown author. (if you know who penned it – let me know, please)

Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow; it only saps today of its joy.
With all that said, stop what you are doing right now, in the midst of your trials and praise God. Take Him your waits and lay them down.

Trust Him.


Dwell in the land and cultivate!


Click here for a rich moment with your Father:

Glory Glory Hallelujah, I’m laying my burdens down…



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post and it ties in with Renee's beautifully!
Geralyn

The Dementia Nurse said...

"God gives us waits so we can practice giving them back to Him." Beautiful, Van. I'm afraid my default is to catatonia, but by God's grace, we will just keep practicing! I feel a soul change when I read your words of faith.

Katrina said...

Thank you for this timely reminder, Van.

Your blog is wonderful.

And thanks for stopping by my blog the other day! I really appreciate your comment.

Julie Zine Coleman said...

I'm reminded of something then future missionary Jim Elliot wrote his fiancee Elisabeth as they waited for the day they would finally wed: "Let not our longing interfere with our living."

I believe you are right, Van. God intends us to love and serve Him even in the midst of the wait.

Wendy Blight said...

Van, loved your devotional today. Yes, interruptions are frustrating, the wait to move along and the desire to be where we once were are all difficult....until we see where God brings us...a pool of refreshing springs. This is a place where we KNOW we have experienced the fullness of His Presence, where we KNOW the reality of a Living God.

Thank you for listing Hidden Joy as a resource! :0)

Blessing to you, Wendy

Tammy said...

Waiting has never been one of my strong traits. For 2009,God has given me this verse Psalm 37:7 to hold on to.

My mom never worried. She would always say "Why worry,it won't change a thing." "God will take care of it."

This post is a great reminder to do what you can and leave the rest up to God!

John Cowart said...

Well said, Van. Well said.

Anonymous said...

Thank-you so much for that post. I was feeling low last night and fretting about things I cannot control. I know I should do this, but it takes practice, practice, and prayer, prayer, and shielding against the enemy. I love your expression of the "wait Room" what a great way to look at problems.

Anonymous said...

Dear Van,
What you said about living through the waits is so true. I have had a chronic illness for ten years with a new symptom every couple of years. If I didn't continue to live and cultivate, my life wouldn't be worth living. And I am always blown away when people express that they are blessed by my life. All I can really do for other people is pray, keep in contact and show them love. Sometimes I get discouraged and worn out, but most of the time I put real effort into being there for others. I know that is my purpose. I see how it helps others and gives my life meaning. Life keeps happening, we can't just sit and wait for the problems to be over.