About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Monday, February 23, 2009

MOVIN' ON AFTER MOVIN' IN MONDAYS

May It Be To Me As You Have Said

In Him we in him we live and move and have our being. Acts 17:28


“An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. ‘Get up,’ he said, ‘take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you.’ ”

Here we go again. Joseph had to tell Mary to pack up. It was time to move.

I wonder if I had been told by my husband, “An angel told me to move” would I have received the marching order any better than the way I did.

Fact is, nothing happens on earth that God has not allowed it. So in His economy whether an angel appeared in his dream or a boss walked into his office, God’s plan would be worked out.

The Waltons would be moving again!

Moving is never easy. Moving with a baby- can be a trial.

Aaron was 18 months old when we left south Texas. The drive to Kentucky was a hard one. He woke up in the middle of the night before the move with a low grade temperature.

Teething.

I sat in the back seat through four long days feeding him little pieces of ice to soothe his gums.

He cried, slept fitfully, whined, and complained.

His mommy cried slept fitfully whined and complained.

We were in a rolling, protected from the elements, heated with a comfortable back seat car.

Mary was either in a cart, on a donkey, or walking!

What do I have to complain about?

Why did Mary have to move --- AGAIN?!!!!!!!!!

Clearly – we know the move to Egypt was an act of protection.

God in His mercy was protecting this young holy family.

I look at my moves and slump – oh no! Not AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

I blame today’s corporate lifestyle, our economy…

Truth is God uses our circumstances here on earth to work through His plan for us.

One day I realized it wasn’t the high and mighty corporation that was constantly moving my husband and family.

Almighty God was moving us. He had a plan. In some cases his plan was to protect us. In other situations His plan was to provide for us. Often His plan was to use us to protect others or provide for people we would only know once we came to settle in our new strange home.

Oh to be like Mary and trust my Father with my life – all of it, from the smallest of inconvenient changes to the grandest of moves.

3 comments:

Julie Zine Coleman said...

I love this post: when we get the big picture, of God being in control, we can relax about our circumstances. Because He cannot be anything but good.

I have been exercised to do this over the past few days. My daughter, recently diagnosed as bipolar, was voluntarily hospitalized over the weekend. She spent two days in a lock-down psychiatric unit waiting for a bed in a mental health facility. It was excruciating. My husband and I took turns staying so she would not have to face it alone. The room was a Hannibal Lector cell look-alike-- cement walls, two chairs and a mattress on the floor. She had to wear scrubs made out of scratchy hot synthetic material-- in a size too small. There was nothing to do for two days but sit and wait.

Yet out of the grim circumstances, a little ray of hope shone for this very sad girl. After a discouraging lunch (you know how hospital food is), she secretly prayed and asked God, "If you could send spaghetti my way for dinner, I would so appreciate it." Her stomach was upset, and she was having trouble with the food that had come already.

Guess what came for dinner that evening. We had no way of requesting anything from the dining hall. But God provided it-- and she knew without one doubt that meal was a gift from Him. It was the Lord, saying: "I've got your back." She shared this with me with tears rolling down her face, so grateful to be reminded that God was right there with her through the traumatic circumstances. God is so good.

Thanks for your encouragement on my blog. Yes, I am doing a retreat in FIVE DAYS, now with a daughter in crisis on top of the regular stress of preparation. Challenging, to say the least.

The material I am developing for this weekend is a new retreat for me-- it is on the four seasons. One of the seasons, winter, is on waiting. I wish you already had your book published-- I would have loved to have been able to use it as a resource!!

Doesn't it often seem like life falls apart just before God is going to use us in the lives of others? I wonder sometimes if I am under a direct Satanic attack, so often does this seem to happen. But I think instead it may well be the Lord gently reminding me how dependent I really am on Him. He wants us cognizant of this fact, especially when we are about to stand in front of women teaching His Word.

I hope your retreat went well in Arizona!! Are you going to tell us what happened??

LisaShaw said...

This says it all:

"Almighty God was moving us. He had a plan."

Praise the LORD that He indeed has a plan. We only need to follow His leading.

God bless.

JottinMama said...

Oh yes - my issues with trust always seem to come out when we move or when we aren't sure what to do or where to go next. We made a big move this summer - and with the economy the way it is right now - we are wondering exactly what steps to take next.

I have a quick question for you: How do you know when it is God wanting you to move? And how do you know when God wants you to stay put? My husband and I are praying through this kind of thing right now and I would just love to know how you and your family discern the will of God about moving and such :)

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm blessed by your blog :)

-Kate :)