About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Monday, December 8, 2008

THE CHRISTMAS JOURNEY CONTINUES

Some of you may be keeping up with my very own Christmas story - a journey of sorts. My mother and I arrived in Santa Fe safe and sound after an intriguing drive across northern Oklahoma, into New Mexico. Our conversation often returned to our forefathers who risked their lives to move into the plains, forge paths into the west, settle and lay a foundation for a fantastic history. We often envisioned cowboys, pioneers, stage coaches, wagon trains, and lone families eeking a living from the land. Talk about unique journeys! After one particularly long drive through miles and miles of plains I spoke up, "I'm glad I am flying home!"

Christmas blessings to you, fellow sojourner.


December 8 Shepherds Searching for Signs

Luke 2:8-12,15, “That night there were shepherds staying in the fields nearby, guarding their flocks of sheep. Suddenly, an angel of the Lord appeared among them, and the radiance of the Lord’s glory surrounded them. They were terrified, 10 but the angel reassured them. “Don’t be afraid!” he said. “I bring you good news that will bring great joy to all people. The Savior—yes, the Messiah, the Lord—has been born today in Bethlehem, the city of David! And you will recognize him by this sign: You will find a baby wrapped snugly in strips of cloth, lying in a manger.”

The shepherds were not in church. They were not sitting in a quiet living room sipping hot chocolate and listening to Christmas music. They were in the midst of their regular routine. When our hearts are opened to God’s Word, we can hear Him wherever we are, whatever we are doing.

Activity: This would be a good time to “camp out” by the Christmas tree. Turn down the lights and ask a ‘wonder question’, “I wonder what the shepherds were talking about while they watched their sheep. I wonder what they said to one another before they decided to go see Jesus.”

Thoughts to ponder: Is my heart open to hearing God’s message for me today? Will I go where He tells me to go?


December 9 Angels’ Announcements

Luke 2: 13-14, “…the angel was joined by a vast host of others—the armies of heaven—praising God and saying, “Glory to God in highest heaven, and peace on earth to those with whom God is pleased.”

When I consider the angels’ announcements I react automatically by looking up. How would I respond to a similar message? I wonder if there haven’t been spiritual news broadcasts all around me that I have chosen to ignore.

Activity: Introduce your family to angels. This would be a great time to teach your children about the reality, ministry, and truth of God’s messengers. Make a search in your Bible, looking up all references to angels.

Thoughts to ponder: Do I believe in angels?


December 10 Am I a Wise Person?

Matthew 2:1-9 (portions) “Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the reign of King Herod. About that time some wise men from eastern lands arrived in Jerusalem, asking, ‘Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We saw his star as it rose, and we have come to worship him.’ The star they had seen in the east guided them to Bethlehem. It went ahead of them and stopped over the place where the child was. When they saw the star, they were filled with joy! They entered the house and saw the child with his mother, Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasure chests and gave him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.

Who were these ‘wise men’? We are told they came from eastern lands. How did they know about the King of the Jews? Could these men have been descendants of the Hebrews who had moved to Babylon during the Judean exile hundreds of years before Jesus’ birth? Or had they been ‘discipled’ long before Jesus called his disciples to follow Him? Had the Jewish exiles shared their hope with the world before they returned home? For sure they were believers because they knew who they were seeking and when they found him they recognized him and worshipped him.

Activity: Allow your children to dress up like the wise men. Give each a ‘treasure’. Then hide baby Jesus somewhere in your house. Lower the lights. Turn on the music and send the children on a ‘treasure hunt’ looking for Jesus.

Thoughts to ponder: “Wise men still seek Him.” I want to begin each day looking for Jesus. I want this Christmas to be remembered as the one where I looked for Jesus, found Him, bowed down, and worshiped him.

Thoughts to ponder: What treasure can I open and give to Jesus?

0 comments: