About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Sunday, November 2, 2008

MOVIN' ON AFTER MOVIN' IN MONDAYS

Does God abandon his children in the midst of their life’s journey?

I am afraid the answer is, “Yes.” Read on!
Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused... so God abandoned them to their own desires. (from Paul's letter to the Romans)

What does this have to do with Tuesday's election?

Have you been caught up in the epic wave that is moving our country toward a new era?

Yes, I know, this is Sunday, not the regular day to post thoughts in my MOVIN’ ON AFTER MOVIN’ IN MONDAY blog.

Today as an act of worship I want to call everyone who would read this blog to seriously look up to our Creator God, the Father of us all who set aside this wonderful nation of ours, our Redeemer who provided a beautiful land where freedom reigns, allowing souls to be set free to worship the one true God.

I am posting today because tomorrow morning I wake up before the sun, stumble to my car, and drive away from the beautiful lake I call home in the fall. Tomorrow I return home to North Carolina. Throughout the day my DH and I will drive along the colorful highways through several states where citizens will be casting their votes. I pray each one of us diligently, prayerfully, and responsibly cast a vote that will glorify God.

In just a few hours our God-given freedom to choose a leader will put us on a new course. I pray to God that the new course will include Him - Almighty God whose statutes were placed in our paths for our own good and for our protection.

As we move into a new era with a new president, new leaders, new ideas, let us pray that we be wise in our voting. So many say the vote is about the economy. I say the vote is about our spiritual state of affairs.

Am I voting in order to have my selfish desires met or am I voting for a freer country, a stronger nation built on godly principles?

As I consider the future of the United States and the issues I see the media telling me are important, I can’t rid my mind of a series of verses in the first chapter of Romans. Here is an excerpt:

God shows his anger from heaven against all sinful, wicked people who suppress the truth by their wickedness. They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them. For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.


Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused. Claiming to be wise, they instead became utter fools. And instead of worshiping the glorious, ever-living God, they worshiped idols made to look like mere people and birds and animals and reptiles.



So God abandoned them to do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other’s bodies. They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen.


That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved.


Since they thought it foolish to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their foolish thinking and let them do things that should never be done. Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, quarreling, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They invent new ways of sinning, and they disobey their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, are heartless, and have no mercy. They know God’s justice requires that those who do these things deserve to die, yet they do them anyway. Worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too.



Let us pray for boldness to honor and glorify the one true God, not a god our hearts and hands have foolishly and selfishly created.



5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting God's Word. What a reminder that some of the sins that slip in as "minor" or "common" are just as vile to the Lord as murder, etc. God bless you.

Kathleen said...

What incredible times are these! I appreciate the thoughts you've penned.

I can't help but recall the scripture in 1 Samuel where God graciously gives the people exactly what they want: a king instead of Him!

May we seek The King this day as voters make their way to the polls.

Be blessed,
Kathleen

Anonymous said...

Amen.

I have had many conversations with my grown children about this election and the importance of engaging in the voting process. It is a critical time. For the first time since I have had the privilege of voting we may see the rights that we have come to cherish slowly slip away.

If one party gets control of all 3 legislative branches, with the media firmly entrenched in their camp, the checks and balance system will be threatened.

Our God is mighty and He will prevail through any turmoil we might face. However, he has called us to stand up and stand firm. The shifting sands may cause our nation to stumble but our faith is secure on the Solid Rock.

Christine said...

A great "BIG" Amen to this! I love running into and meeting woman after God's own heart! I would like to add you on my list of people to keep in touch with here! God Bless and thank you for stopping by! Talk soon I hope!

Dana said...

My Sweet Dear Friend, Van, oh, how i've missed reading this BLOG!! And I'm missing you as well! You are right to be encouraging folks to seek God's face concerning this Nation. It seems to be a common "Spiritual" thread among believers that this nation is headed for a time of disfavor with God. How sad. To have gone from a nation of people who were founded by belief in God to a nation who tries to put Him out of everything...is frighntening! Not for those who Love Him and seek Him..but for the lost most assuredly! So yes, my sister, encourage others to pray, pray, pray and seek God's wisdome...keep watch for the Master and know Him when He comes!
Write on sister...
Much love...Moi!