About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources

My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.

Pound to Palace

My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.

Little Halos

Proverbs 31 Ministries


Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

There was an error in this gadget


Friday, April 11, 2008


God has not told me exactly what He wants me to do either, but I have a good idea what I should be doing while I wait to “hear” exactly what He wants me to do.

Until then I have decided to be a friend to strangers and to help those in trouble.

You may or may not know this about me: I have a heart for Latinas, Hispanic women who find themselves here in the United States. I wish they didn’t have to come here. I wish their own country could support them, dignify them, give them and their children a future. I am so blessed to have my American heritage and as long as I can I will be hospitable to others. My prayer is that one day – what they have experienced here – they will take back and help to turn their own country around leaving a legacy for future generations.

Maybe, in some small way, I can reach out and touch them with the love God gives me when He touches me.

This week I took a whole load of no-longer-needed jewelry to the pregnancy care center where I volunteer. I taught the ladies about the American custom of “White Elephant.”

Then we proceeded to pick out gift bags filled with “jewels.”

I wanted each lady to look at her “precious stones” and remember that,
In God’s eyes a woman’s worth is more than jewels.

Women and daughters alike left that day wearing a reminder that although they are strangers to this country, they are no strangers to God.

Can you spot the jewels? I don't mean the bracelets, necklaces, and boaches! I mean the gorgeous brown-eyed beauties in these pictures.

…but, you say, I really wish God would tell me what He wants ME to do. Stay tuned – next time you return I will give you some ideas.


Laura said...

There are, indeed, some beautiful jewels in this post! I look forward to hearing your insights into finding our gifts. So many women I know struggle with this issue, including me. Sometimes I think this question can paralyze us into doing nothing while we wait for our answer, but I love your heart...you serve as you wait. These women are truly blessed to have you to love and serve them, Dear Friend!

Shanda said...

Hi Van,
I love your attitude in serving while you wait... I have to admit I'm struggle quit a bit in my new adventure. Would you pray for me and my family as we find ourselves out on a limb and waiting for the next step??? Thanks for the encouragement in this post!