About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Saturday, March 15, 2008

IT’S RAINING

The area of North Carolina where I live is in the midst of a high level drought. We can’t wash our cars or water our yards. Every once in a while newscasters share new ideas about water conservation. I never throw out ice. I drop the ice cubes from the bottom of our water glasses into my indoor plants.

The thought of facing a spring without planting flowers in my garden saddens me. I wonder, “What happens when the garden dries up and ceases to exist? Can I survive out there in the jungle without a garden to refresh me?”

Water is a necessary ingredient for life and I believe ‘gardens’ are too. I have never taken either for granted. Growing up in a developing country meant that every drop of water I ever drank had to be boiled. It also meant that there were foods I couldn’t eat because they were watered with contaminated water!

Water is more precious than gold or jewels, but we don’t live like it…
until we find ourselves in a drought and experience water restrictions.

I don’t like to think about life without water or lush gardens. Whenever scary thoughts threaten to ruin my hopes for the spring – it’s those hopes that get me through the winter, I chase those thoughts away. I choose to believe the rains will come.

Today it is raining. We have been blessed with lots of rain! My heart leaps and jumps and dances because rain gives me joy.

I am not the only one celebrating. A few minutes ago the thunder rolled on past, moving north and east I guess. The buckets full of rain that were falling turned into little drops and the sun peeked through the clouds. My heart sang and suddenly a little bird chirped.
In a moment, he raised his head and cleared his throat A full blown song pierced the afternoon with his song of joy, expressing the sentiments that welled within my soul.

Today it rained. All is well.

My garden fills me with joy. It is the place I go to find contentment and gain a fresh spiritual perspective on life. What about you. Where do you go to settle your soul?

5 comments:

ocean mommy said...

Hi Van!

Thanks for your visit earlier tonight on my blog. It's nice to "meet" you. :)

We too are under water restrictions and praying for God to open up the sky and pour buckets of rain on us! We saw some today and it was beautiful!

Just wanted to say hello, I'm going to look around if you don't mind!

Blessings,
stephanie

Celly B said...

I hope that the rain has refreshed you!

I am so excited that we'll receive the DVD. My children & I will love it.

If you email me your email address, I'll send you my snail mail address.
celestebh@bellsouth.net
Thanks so much!

Jodie Wolfe said...

Hi Van!
We just passed through North Carolina on Saturday, on our drive home from Florida to PA. We were ahead of the rain and even were able to spend a short time at the P31 office. What a special blessing for me.

Julie said...

Van,
Thanks for this beautiful post. I live in Georgia and we too are experiencing the drought. I lost some of my flowers in my garden last year because of it. I wonder how things will look this year.

My favorite place is on my front porch overlooking the mountain in the near distance. I love to draw away with God there.

Thank you for stopping by my blog and your sweet words.

I hear there is rain in our forecast all day tomorrow. Things will seem fresher afterwards, it always does. Water to the earth, like water to the soul.....

Have a blessed evening,
Julie

Jenny said...

I'm with you on the rain. It is pouring here today and I am so GLAD!

Have a great day,
Jen