About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Thursday, August 30, 2007

POVERTY, ALTHOUGH NOT A GARDEN, IS THE PLACE WHERE GOD RESIDES

Before leaving for Ecuador I braced myself, knowing that I would experience extreme poverty, deep despair, and seemingly hopeless situations. And I was right. What I saw broke my heart. Overwhelming circumstances threatened to defeat my purpose for visiting the work Compassion International accomplishes with children and their families.

The Sunday while visiting Ecuador our team of traveling speakers had the privilege of going to church in the mountains with typical native Andeans. During that service my heart broke. It broke because it had weakened, become too dependent on the things of this earth. God needed to repair it and He used the pure words of a most unlikely man to mend and heal. I first felt God’s presence during the pastor’s prayers. What struck me was the intimate manner in which he spoke with his Lord. He addressed his Creator with deep reverence and committed love. I expected to hear prayers asking for needs to be met. I heard prayers of thanksgiving instead. I thought I would hear a pastor ask for today's daily bread, but I heard him ask for forgiveness. I expected to hear an anguished cry for help, but the humble pastor praised God. He lifted his face to the Almighty giving due honor. "God, You are Lord of lords. You are King." He poured out passionate words that spoke of trust in a Sovereign God and a loving heavenly Father. He verbally placed himself at the foot of the cross, submitting to his Provider listing all God’s blessings. God worked through Compassion International to provide the necessary funds for surgery that made it possible for his son to walk (Even though he struggled mightily with crutches. My thoughts, not his words.) God used Compassion International to provide sponsors for the children in his Community, giving them a future hope. God provided the church building so families could gather, finding shelter and release from their hard lives. The prayers of this small-in-stature yet tall-in-faith man continued to audibly usher me into God's sanctuary.

An overwhelming sense of joy and peace, flowed over my visions of hopelessness and despair, poverty and rejection, carrying me higher than my own human focus and earth-bound concerns could take me. I might be one person and yes, I could never have the resources to make a change in the midst of the severe squalor I encountered.

But God's power is unleashed when His armies unite to do His work. My trip to Ecuador was truthfully a journey into a Holy and Sacred Place that I can only describe as the inner chamber of God's heart. From that vantage point He illustrated for me in full living color, using my senses and deep feelings for others: The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

When we follow God into the places where the poor and needy live, those He considers to be worthy, the veil tears allowing, us access to His heart beat, pouring out indescribable and unimaginable blessings upon His obedient followers.

A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.

Interested in sponsoring a child with Compassion International? Please visit: vithttp://www.compassion.com/Sponsor_a_child/default.htm?referer=68813

0 comments: