About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Thursday, August 16, 2007

LEAVING THE COMFORT OF THE GARDEN ~ TRAVELING TO ECUADOR


When Jesus prayed to His Father the night before He was crucified he said about his followers:








“In the same way that you gave me a mission in the world, I give them a mission in the world.” John 17:18 (MSG)
While He walked with His disciples, He taught,

“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.” Matthew 5:12-14 (NIV)

I am always amazed when I hear people around me say that they are eager to hear God’s purpose for their lives. I listen to frustrated individuals say that they are waiting for God to tell them what His plans are for their lives. I wonder exactly what we mean when we say, “I just wish God would clearly tell me what He wants me to do with my life.”


How about these ideas for a start?

Micah 6:8 – God has shown me what is good. What does God require of me? To act justly and love mercy and to walk humbly with my God. (my paraphrase)
To me this means that I need to practice fairness in my life, to show compassion to those who need a kind, loving and accepting touch, and to put myself aside as I do God’s work.
When I think of the ones who need to be shown fairness, those who need compassion and then a bit of help to move them out of their desperate circumstances, I have no trouble bringing to mind those in our world who live in poverty. So, often in my quiet prayers to God I ask Him to give me opportunities to reach out to those in need. God gives us opportunities when we obey Him. A year ago the speakers on the Proverbs 31 team were encouraged to pray and consider the possibility of partnering with a group called Compassion International. Each one of us was eager to step in to encourage others to sponsor needy children around the world. Our next step, a trip to a CI project, would take place so we could understand the work this incredible non- profit organization accomplishes for the poor. Some time this past spring the announcement came! The P31 team would travel to Ecuador. I never doubted if I should go. I know God’s will for my life.

I have read it in His Word:


Deuteronomy 15:7-8, “If there is a poor man with you, one of your brothers, in any of your towns in your land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart, nor close your hand from your poor brother; but )you shall freely open your hand to him, and shall generously lend him sufficient for his need in whatever he lacks.” (NASB)


2 Timothy 1:7-9, “ For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. So never be ashamed to tell others about our Lord.” (NLT)


That is how my journey to Ecuador began. God told me in His Word what he expects from me. He gave me an opportunity. I said, “Yes!”

Day before yesterday I returned from a most amazing trip. I can’t wait to tell you more.

0 comments: