About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I Want to be Free

As usual, while I was on a walk with my dog, I learned one of many life lessons. I need to tell you - my dog is obedient. As a result he has the freedom to leave the safety of our yard unleashed, as long as he walks with me. Yes that is right. He walks freely through the neighborhood - unchained, untied, unbound - free! Do you long for freedom? Take a look at the picture I experienced as I strolled with my dog. There we were walking down the street and we passed a house with a dog in the yard. The dog appeared to be free, but, in reality an electric fence surrounded him. Actually his life was controlled by a powerful shock if he were to cross a set boundary. When my dog noticed the other dog, he looked his way, showing great interest. You know it is the call of the wild - a deep instinct that permeates a dog's being, when he sees another one of his own species. They can't control themselves, or can they? They are driven to run toward each other, smell, lick, and wag tails - or growl and fight. I saw temptation right there on the street. But then the unthinkable happened. My little dog looked up at me. "Good dog," I said, encouraging him to stay close by my side. Once again my constant companion looked into the yard of the pent up canine. Slowly, deliberately, my pet made a choice. He stepped into the shadow of his master and kept on walking, right past the temptation. Because he decided to hear my voice and ignore the natural call of the world, he continued in freedom. Had he ignored me by stepping out of bounds and running toward disobedience, had ne not followed my commands, I would have had to put the leash around his neck. No longer free. Bound, tied up, restricted, enslaved, chained. Ironic but true - freedom is defined by obedience - obedience and commitment to the master.

My little dog inspires me! If he can walk past temptation, then so can I. It is a choice. Guess what? When I refuse to listen to the call of the wild, I walk in freedom. I hear another call - the call of my Master. You see, like my precious pet, I too have a Master.

What was the lesson I learned from my dog? If I want to live free and content, I obey my Master. His name is Jesus. He says that we are truly his disciples when we remain faithful to his teachings. Knowing the truth will set us free. (John 8:31-32)

He said,"...the Spirit of the Lord is upon me,for he has anointed me to bring Good News to the poor.He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released,that the blind will see,that the oppressed will be set free," (Luke 4:18)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Van, that's just an awesome lesson. Thanks for sharing.